Living with Fibromyalgia

Today is a "raining cats and dogs" kind of day here in rural Southern Georgia. It started raining during the night last night and hasn't stopped yet.....rain is supposed to fall for the next 24 hours. Flood watches are in effect from the Golden Isles of Georgia inland to, well, most of the state. As much as our land down here needs the rain for decreasing the high fire levels that we live with all the time, this rain has played havoc with my body.

Living with metal in my body and lot's of it isn't always fun. When the frigid winds of Winter come a blowing, I hurt. I can feel every screw, metal plate in my body. Feel like the Tin Man needing to carry a"oil can" around.....and when the rain comes for this amount of time, well, the same thing happens.

And, on top of everything else, I have Fibromyalgia! Wikipedia describes Fibromyalgia as:Fibromyalgia (FM or FMS) is a medical disorder characterized by chronic widespread pain and allodynia (a heightened and painful response to pressure).[1] Fibromyalgia symptoms are not restricted to pain, leading to the use of the alternative term fibromyalgia syndrome for the condition. Other symptoms include debilitating fatiguesleep disturbance, and joint stiffness. Some patients[2] also report difficulty with swallowing,[3] bowel and bladder abnormalities,[4] numbness and tingling,[5] and cognitive dysfunction.[6]Fibromyalgia is frequently comorbid with psychiatric conditions such as depression and anxiety and stress-related disorders such asposttraumatic stress disorder.[7][8] Not all fibromyalgia patients experience all associated symptoms.[9] Fibromyalgia is estimated to affect 2–4% of the population,[7] with a female to male incidence ratio of approximately 9:1.[10] The term "fibromyalgia" derives from new Latin, fibro-, meaning "fibrous tissues", Greek myo-, "muscle, and Greek algos-, "pain"; thus the term literally means "muscle andconnective tissue pain".

I remember the first time I ever heard of anyone having this, and thinking, how can you hurt when the doctors can't fine anything wrong with you!!! Well, I understand now very well. It is so hard to describe to someone how much pain you are in when outwardly you can't show them a scar, or a injury.....and they look at you like, yea right...it is all in your head.

Yes, I have meds I take for it...along with all the other meds I take for the chronic pain from my disabilities.....but, I hate taking medications.....I hate to admit it, but it makes me feel weak. But, I keep on keeping on....dealing with the pain....because even when the days are so bad, and all I want to do is stay in bed....I don't....very seldom, because I feel I do have so much to live for.


So, for all of you out there that live with this problem everyday, know you have a "sister" down here in rural Georgia who is "hanging right in there with ya"....

Blessings,
Deborah

Comments

  1. so many of my friends suffer with this as well and each day for them tells a different story as I am sure it does for you.
    come visit me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Zip Tie Bohemian Bracelets! VaVoom!

Everyone Loves Watermelon....Right?

The Lady with Blue Eyes...New Folk Art Painting